Monday, May 11, 2009

Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer Beware


Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware. 

I recently received a phone call from a company supposedly in Las Vegas.

Naturally, I was excited when I got the message. One Mr. Stephen Fisher said he wanted to speak with me regarding my involvement with the Carbon Copy Pro BiB program – Business in a Box.

Thinking that I had received a qualified lead for my business, I quickly returned the phone call. We played phone tag for a short while, and eventually I caught up with Stephen.

To my dismay, he was not interested in joining my business. He wanted to share some information with me; not over the phone, but on my computer.

I returned to my office, and went online to check the leads garnered from my web site landing page. To my surprise, his contact information did not show up.

The next time we spoke on the phone, my first question was…

“How did you acquire my contact information?”

He said he went to my web site and just as he was about to exit, my contact information – including my phone number – popped up.

Fair enough, I thought.

“How can I help you?”

“I want to show you a way to gain top listing on Google without doing the Pay-Per-Click garbage.”

Immediately, a red flag went up. Why was Stephen so keen on offering this exclusive opportunity to me?

I instantly got the gut feeling this was a scam.

My CC Pro sponsor never mentioned anything about a magical new way to beat the Google system. He was in the business longer than me. If it was legal, why would he hide it and continue to webinar the pay-per-click method? And lastly, why should these Nevadan gurus possess these great privileges above all else?

Just for the heck of it, I decided to listen to Stephen’s pitch: more so out of curiosity.

This Mr. Fisher asked me to go to my computer because he wanted to show me a demonstration. Dutifully, I followed his instructions.

For 20 minutes he walked me through several pages that were supposed to show how his company placed other internet marketers in the number one slot with Google search engine.

After he had done his share of jabbering, he tossed me over to the “T.O. Man”: In the Timeshare business, the “T.O. or Turn Over Man” is the fast talker who either closes the sale quickly, or sees you out the door.

Instantly, I smelled a rat. These guys wanted to rip me off!

One tiny bit of information I learned kicked into play.

“He who holds the money wins.”

 Getting down to the real nitty-gritty: Stephen and gang wanted me to pay well over two thousand ($2K+) by credit card to place my company on top listing with all high ranking search engines, with a six month guaranty. Bang-bang went the bell.

Poppycock! Hogwash! No way Hosea! Caveat emptor! Let the buyer beware! I’m outta here!

www.allanrussell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment