Sunday, May 17, 2009

We Found a Wallet


The Wallet

My co-worker George and I, recently on vacation in Barbados, were jogging along the beach behind the Light & Power Company and we found a wallet. Our wives jogged along behind us.

As we ran, it so happened that we chatted about our US economy back home; how it seemed to have affected the entire world; how both of us needed to work on our family budgets; and how we ought to learn investing in the stock market.

We hopped on to the short pier and jogged away from the shore.

Not far from the wooden supports anchored deep in the sea bed, something in the water caught our attention. A small article gradually bobbed and weaved in our direction.

As it sailed closer we noticed it was a black object wrapped in plastic. Closer observation revealed a billfold.

Instantly, George and I glanced at one another. I playfully said

“Money!”

Jokes aside: I wondered why the wallet was floating in the briny. Why was it placed in a sandwich bag? Could it be the property of someone who drowned in the ocean?

George said…

“Let’s not touch that thing, bud. Could spell trouble.”

“Ah, come on” I said. “It’s only a wallet. Not like it is a dead body. Besides, you know I like to help people. We need to do a little detective work here, pal.”

We watched and waited until it came closer.

“How do you suppose to get that wallet out of that water? And don’t ask me to reach down there either. Swine flu is on the grunt, bro.”

“Swine flu, in Barbados? Swine flu or no swine flu: You can’t swim, anyway? You’re too scared to get wet and help someone.”

“It’s not that I’m scared, man. I aint about to fall into no water and get eaten by no shark. I saw a small one over there” he said, pointing.

“I have an idea” I offered.

“What idea?”

“See the man over there fishing?”

“Oh no…”

“We’ll ask him to fish out the wallet for us.”

“What about the money? We’ll have to share it with him, too?”

“Okay. Split it three ways, if necessary.”

“What if it’s only a couple o’ bucks? It won’t be worth it – sixty-six cents apiece, big spender.”

“There could be hundreds in there” I said with mocked elation.

“You’re kidding me? Who in their right mind will wrap a wallet with two hundred dollars in a Ziploc bag and toss it in the Caribbean?”

“Perhaps it was some filthy rich person out there on a cruise ship. Didn’t want to take chances with water spoiling their fun. I don’t know.”

“Excuse, my man… Would you help? We dropped the wallet in the water. Would you fish it out for us?”

“You sure?… What’s in it for me?”

“Beside water, who knows” George humorously said.

“We’ll split it three ways” I suggested.

“Alright, then” said the fisherman. He tossed the line and quickly hauled out the wallet. Up it flew, dangling to and fro.

“True. It is a wallet” the fisherman confirmed. “But who wallet it is, man?”

“Tell the truth, we’ll find out.”

“I know it didn’t belong to you” he said, looking at us. “I was going to swim out and get it, but I cut my foot. The smell of blood might bring in a shark.”

“Let’s see what’s in the wallet. If it’s a couple of hundred we’ll get sixty-six dollars each. How’s that?”

“No-no, man!” fearfully exclaimed the local fisherman. “We should take that wallet to the police, man.”

Cautiously, I unzipped the plastic bag and took out the wallet.

Lo and behold, to our disappointment, there was no money; just a dry piece of paper with a handwritten note. It read…

“This is my only gift for you. Silver and gold have I none, but what I have I’ll share with you.

· Make a budget so you can invest money for the future

· Make a Will so you can save your family heartaches.

“No money in the wallet, man” said the fisherman?

There could not have been a stronger omen for George and I. Only a moment earlier we were speaking about making a budget. Here was definite confirmation. We complied with the message as soon as we returned home.

As for the Will (meaning the Last Will and Testimony) neither of us had a Will in place. And so it goes for millions of people all over the world. Many die without a Will. Some consider it taboo to make a will when they are in good health.

The legal term for dying without a Will is known as "Dying Intestate. Dying Intestate leaves a family to face legal battles that could last for years, and cost thousands of dollars in legal fees. I often wondered if the note in the wallet was a special message sent to us from God Himself.

Let me leave you with this warning. If you don't believe in making a budget to control your spending, sooner or later you will regret that you didn't. Do it today.

Regarding investing in the stock market, there are plenty of books on the market that will show you how to successfully invest.

Lastly, some attorneys charge under one hundred dollars to file a Simple Will. It's a wise idea to get yourself situated. You never know what the future holds. Look at it this way. You didn't have to go on an exotic vacation and find the wallet to tell you how important these things are. You heard it here for free.

www.allanrussell.com

Attraction Marketing System

No comments:

Post a Comment